Museum Store & Publications 
 Contact Us 
 Related Websites

 Thomaston History 
 Holiday Houses 
 Summer Houses 

Thomaston 2015 Summer Holiday Home Tour

Click on photograph to enlarge

A Romantic Victorian House

The Thomaston Historical Society
Presents its third annual
Summer Holiday House Event

66 Hyler Street
Thomaston, Maine

Saturday, July 11th, 2015

1 to 4 P.M.

A tour of the house
 with light refreshments served.

Adults $8 per person, $5 each for members, $3 each for children under age 18, children, if carried, free
50% of the proceeds from this event will benefit the
Thomaston Historical Society's
fund dedicated to making repairs to our
1794 home known as
The Knox Farmhouse Museum,
the only remaining original building of the
General Henry Knox estate.
The other 50% will be applied to the
museum's acquisitions fund.

We wish to thank Nancy Baker
for opening this beautiful town treasure
to the public for this event.

Butler's pantry

Click on photograph to enlarge

Detail of embossed tiles surrounding the  fireplace

Click on photograph to enlarge

Handsome fireplace

Click on photograph to enlarge

About the House

This house was built in 1892 for Helen and Eugene Dizer. Helen was a daughter of Captain Sanders Curling and was brought up in Thomaston. Mr. Dizer, an emigrant from France, was Helen's second husband. The couple hired the Rockland firm of W. H. Glover to build the house. The same company constructed the Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse ten years later. 
    The house measures 24’ x 30’ with an ell of 10’ x 24’. Cross gables break the roof line and several well-proportioned trussed gables provide visual interest. An asymmetrical porch extends on the front and side wall to bay windows on the east.
    Decorative Queen Anne embellishments provide interesting detail typical of the style.

Guest's footed bath tub 

Click on photograph to enlarge

Stained glass window in dining room

Click on photograph to enlarge

      Along with Victoria details there are also many craftsman style components such as the carved newel post and staircase. 

Click on photograph to enlarge
      The house enjoys a beautiful view of the St. Georges River from its rear windows and back porch. The lovely flowering gardens were planted by the present owner. 


Copyright © 1997, 2016 Thomaston Historical Society

Web site designed by Catnip Graphics. Please send comments to info@ThomastonHistoricalSociety.com   Last update: November  23, 2016