Museum Store & Publications 
 Contact Us 
 Related Websites

 Thomaston History 
 Holiday Houses 
 Summer Houses 

Thomaston 2013 Summer Holiday Home Tour

Click on photograph to enlarge

The Hon. Edward Robinson House

78 Main Street
Thomaston, Maine

In 1829, William  Robinson Keith sold the  lot at the corner of Main Street and what is now Robinson Street to Mr. Benjamin Bussey. The lot was originally part of a much larger parcel which extended along the south side of Main Street nearly to Gilchrest Street. The area was being developed by William Keith. Mr. Bussey had the house completed and lived in it for several years.
     Captain Edward Robinson, the man who took over the seat in Congress left vacant after the murder of Representative Jonathan Cilley (February 24, 1838) filled that post until the end of the term on March 3, 1839. In 1844, he purchased the house from the Bussey Estate

Mr. Robinson, who was born in Cushing on November 25, 1796,  was a self-educated man. He engaged in seafaring and then in mercantile pursuits in Thomaston. He was elected to the Maine State Senate in 1836 and then served as a Whig in the U.S. House of Representatives after Cilley's death.

He returned to Thomaston to continue his mercantile businesses as well as developing interests in banking and ship building until his death in Thomaston on February 19, 1857. He is buried in the Thomaston Cemetery.

The house has been known as the Robinson House since 1844. The house has a semi-flying staircase and four Thomaston black marble fireplaces, each in a different style.

Robinson's first two wives died early in their lives, Joanna in 1821 and Nancy in 1826. His third wife, Penelope Fales was much beloved by the community. After her husband's death, she inherited a large fortune with which she helped many poor Thomaston families. She was especially devoted to the children of the town and she made sure that they were properly clothed for the winter weather. She also paid for the formal education of many town youngsters.

When theTown of Thomaston decided to honor the Robinson family by naming the street to the east of the house after Edward Robinson, many people in town petitioned that the street should be named after his third wife instead. Although they did not get their wish, local people called the road Penelope Lane even though it was never officially named that. Some of the older town residents still call it that.

Click on photograph to enlarge

Click on photograph to enlarge

Left: One of the four Thomaston black marble fireplaces in the home.

Right:  The second story hall showing the magnificent and graceful balustrade of the
semi-flying staircase.

Click on photograph to enlarge

The private house now serves the community as
The Hall Funeral Home


Copyright © 1997, 2016 Thomaston Historical Society

Web site designed by Catnip Graphics. Please send comments to info@ThomastonHistoricalSociety.com   Last update: November  23, 2016