Home 
 Membership 
 Programs 
 Museum Store & Publications 
 Contact Us 
 Related Websites

 Thomaston History 
 Holiday Houses 
 Summer Houses 


Thomaston 2016 Summer Holiday Home Tour


Click on photograph to enlarge

Thomas Russell House



The Thomaston Historical Society
Presents its fourth annual
Summer Holiday House Event


Where:
30 Main Street Mall
Thomaston, Maine


Google map: 30 Main St. Mall in Thomaston

The Thomas Russell House is visible from Route 1 and is accessible
from the corner of Route 1 and School Street. The house is the first
on the left on Main Street Mall from the School Street end of route 1.
Parking is available along School Street and Main Street Mall.

When:
Saturday, July 9th, 2016

Rain date is Sunday July 10
Time:

1 to 4 P.M.

Tickets for this event are available at the door.
Light refreshments are available with ticket purchase
and raffle baskets tickets will also be available.
Room docents will share the history of the house and
we hope to provide information on the restoration and
renovations as well.


Cost:
Adults $8 per person, $5 each for members,
$3 each for children under age 18, children, if carried, free
Why:
100% of the proceeds from this event will benefit the
Thomaston Historical Society's fund dedicated to the drainage improvement
project for our 1794 home known as The Knox Farmhouse Museum. The Knox Farmhouse
is the only remaining building of the original General Henry Knox estate.

Who:
We wish to thank Neal and Sheilagh Guyer
for opening this beautiful town treasure
to the public for this event.


Belvedere

Click on photograph to enlarge


Stairway Newel Post

Click on photograph to enlarge

Dining Room Corner

Click on photograph to enlarge

About the House

This mid-sized Victorian gem was built in 1875 by Thomaston carpenter and house builder, Thomas Russell. The attention given to period detail is superlative. The house is situated on the corner of School Street, south of the original County Road at the intersection of the old highway and the present Route 1.

side entrance
Entrance to Sun Porch

Click on photograph to enlarge
An inviting wooden walkway through lush greenery leads along the east side of the house to a sun porch in the rear.

The fašade has a side bay entrance with two window bays to the right. All of the window bays have blinds - louvered wood window coverings, used to keep the house cool in the summer months. Historically, many New England homes had exterior blinds early in the nineteenth century but by the early twentieth century, their use had become largely decorative.

A hooded crown supported by brackets provides limited shelter for the front double door entry, and wooden quoins - decorative elements at the corner of the house using wood painted to imitate stone - add distinctive style.

A small stylish belvedere crowns the roof in the same manner as a pert chapeau crowns the head of a proper Victorian lady.



Four panel Door and Stairs

Click on photograph to enlarge


Built-in Walnut Cabinet

Click on photograph to enlarge



[Top]






Copyright © 1997, 2016 Thomaston Historical Society


Web site designed by Catnip Graphics. Please send comments to info@ThomastonHistoricalSociety.com   Last update: November  23, 2016