Thomaston 2019 Summer Holiday Home Tour
|The Thomaston Historical Society|
Presents its sixth annual
Summer Holiday House Event
|Where:||33 Hyler Street|
Google map: 33 Hyler St. in Thomaston
|When:||Saturday June 15 (rain or shine)|
|Time:||1 - 4 p.m.|
|Cost:||Tickets will be available at the door: $8 for THS members, $10 for non-members, children 12 and under are free.|
|Tour:||Visitors will be able to self-tour and will meet docents in various rooms who will point out specific
architectural details of interest, both inside and outside the house. Visitors will also receive a card with a brief history as well as photos featuring specific details about the structure
of the house. Light refreshments will be available as well as raffle items.|
For additional information, please call Mimi Zwick at 354‑7029 or email email@example.com.
|Who||Our thanks go out to Rob and Jeanne Short, the current owners of the house, and to Peggy McCrea who provided the
history and photos for this special house tour.|
About the House
The John T. Beverage Homestead was built in the very popular Victorian Italianate style by joiner, selectman and fire chief John T. Beverage. The house remained in the family until 1925. The second story was finished off into four handsome rooms in 1892. Delia Beverage passed in 1907 and Mr. Beverage later married Eva Hyler.
The house was also the home of Earle Woodcock, popular Thomaston Grocer in the mid 1920s to 1949, and was sold to the well-known family of Dr. Laurence and Betty Shesler.
The house is in the Victorian Italianate style so popular at this time, and is quite similar to two others in Thomaston, one at 42 Knox Street (Proctor Nichols House, b. 1879) and one at 39 Dunn St (Capt William J. Willey House, b 1882).
The basic style of the John T. Beverage house incorporates brackets under projecting cornices with a single-story height verandah. Four turned posts support the verandah roof, which is trimmed with intricate lace-like Victorian gingerbread. The house is almost square in plan with high ceilings. The shallow-pitched hip roof was originally capped with an oversized cupola. Bay windows, paired windows and window sashes with two-pane glazing are topped by narrow bracketed crowns. A small projecting ell in the rear houses the kitchen.
Copyright © 2019 Thomaston Historical Society
Web site designed by Catnip Graphics. Please send comments to info@ThomastonHistoricalSociety.com Created: June 8, 2019